A moderator or facilitator needs to help others determine:
– a broad enough Entity,
– and invite valuable participants WHO want to share required information and criticism,
– a safe environment by setting the room and mixing participants,
– the organizational context (‘force field analysis’),
– a mutual understanding WHY a change is required; what real existing problems block progress,
– WHAT the project can realistically achieve (Results) and what not (Assumptions for monitoring),
– WHAT this will actually mean; the indicators,
– WHAT the project can do and what not (Assumptions for monitoring),
– by WHOM. Which organisation(s) will be responsible for the implementation and
– the required organizational capacity by assessing internal organizational obstacles and design the organizational capacity plan (the ‘HOW will it happen’ matrix).
The facilitator needs to make the above steps happen in a smooth natural way involving each and everybody equally by only have them talk about the content.
After having gone through several ‘crises’ all participants managed finally to raise out of the ‘field with land mines’ and help the group as a real confident moderator!